Move over lemon and sugar…we can do better than that. Make the most out of your pancakes and enjoy this proper American recipe for the lightest and fluffiest pancakes!
Cook Time: 35 mins
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 284ml carton buttermilk
- 12-16 British free-range smoked streaky bacon rashers
- Knob of butter for frying
- 2 avocados, sliced and tossed in a little lime juice
- 200g feta, crumbled
For the coriander-chilli oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped, stalks finely chopped
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice 1 lime
LET’S GET FLIPPIN’
- To make the pancakes, mix the flour, cream of tartar and sugar in a bowl with a large pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre, then drop in the egg yolks & mix. Slowly pour in the buttermilk, stirring constantly, until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook, turning once, for 15-20 minutes until crisp. Turn the oven right down once it’s cooked to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, make the oil: put the chilli, coriander and extra-virgin olive oil in a food processor and whizz until you have a bright green mixture. Season and add the lime juice. If it’s too thick to drizzle, add a couple of tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- When the bacon is nearly cooked, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks in a mixing bowl. Gently fold into the batter, starting with a heaped tablespoonful, then continuing in thirds. The batter should be airy.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan. Put a knob of butter on a piece of kitchen paper, then wipe over the pan. The butter should be incredibly thin in the pan – you don’t want any sizzling puddles. Drop heaped tablespoons of the batter into the pan, spreading them out slightly with a spatula. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Lift up the bottoms to check they’re golden, then flip them and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Put on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you use up the batter.
- Stack the pancakes on serving plates, then top with the bacon, avocado and feta. Spoon over a little of the coriander-chilli oil, then serve with the rest of it on the side. Voila!
Looking for a workout to burn all that energy after those delicious pancakes? We are here for whatever you are in the mood for: choose from yoga, swimming, spinning, boxing, pilates or just some good old treadmill time. With no monthly fees or no membership hassle, you just pay for what you sweat.